Information Center


What are the reasons to replace your Green card?

Category : Green Card Renewal

Green card renewal/replacement:

If you are a permanent resident, with a Green card valid for 10 years, and your Green card is about to expire, you need to file an Application for Green card renewal, Form I-90. You can also file the same Form I-90 if you require a replacement for your existing Green card.

There are many reasons for permanent residents to renew or replaced their Green card, the most common are listed below.

  • The Green card is set to expire in six months. The process of obtaining a new Green card can take upto six months, so it is always better to apply for a new Green card and complete the process before the current Green card expires. This is very important as you are required by law to carry a valid Green card with you at all times.

  • If your Green card is lost, stolen or damaged.

  • If your Green card was given to you before your were 14 years of age, and you have now reached your 14th birthday, you need to apply for a new Green card.

  • If you were previously commuting to work in the U.S and now are taking up permanent residence in the U.S.

  • If you were previously a permanent resident in the U.S and now are taking up commuter status.

  • If your Green card contains any incorrect information

  • If you need to change any biographic information that has legally changed since you were issued the previous card, like your legal name (due to marriage/divorce/adoption).

  • If you never received the Green card that was issued by the USCIS to you previously.

  • If you have an older version of the Green card that does not contain an expiry date.

Renewing a Green card has never been easier. You can fill the Application for Green card renewal, Form I-90 here, with our software which makes the entire process simpler for you. Once you complete filling the Form I-90, you need to print the form, sign it and mail it to the nearest USCIS office along with the processing fees and the supporting documents.

Important Immigration Forms

U.S. Citizenship Form N-400 Green Card Renewal Form I-90

Initys Law Firm Technologies
364 E Main Street Suite 1006, Middletown, DE 19709