Information Center


US Naturalization Required Documents and Photographs

Category : Naturalization

US Naturalization Required Documents & PhotographsThe first step to becoming a U.S citizen is to complete the Application for Naturalization, Form N-400. After you complete the application, you need to collect the list of documents that you require to send along with the application to the USCIS for processing.

Mandatory Documents required

The following documents are mandatory while submitting the Naturalization Application

  • A photocopy of your Green card.

  • Two identical colour photographs with your A-number written behind the photos.

  • Check/ Money order for the USCIS processing fees.

Checklist for additional documents required

The following documents have to be sent along with your Naturalization application for the application to be processed by the USCIS. It makes the whole process easier and quicker when you include all the documents that are required along with the application packet, avoiding delays.

  • Document showing legal name change if the name on your previous Green card is different from your current legal name (Marriage, divorce, adoption document)

  • If your application is based on marriage to a U.S citizen

    • Proof that your spouse has been a U.S citizen for the past 3 years, like Birth Certificate, Naturalization certificate, Certificate of Citizenship

    • Your marriage certificate

    • Proof of termination of all previous marriages

    • Evidence that you have been in marital union for 3 years like joint bank accounts, tax return and mortgages

  • If you have children, dependent on you and living with you, you need to submit documents like their Birth certificate, Adoption certificate.

  • If your dependent children are living away from you, you need to submit evidence that you support your dependent child like child support payments, cancelled checks, money order receipts.

  • If you have travelled outside the U.S for more than six months out of one year, you must submit evidence that you maintained ties with the country like IRS tax returns, rent receipts, mortgage payments, or pay stubs and that your immediate family was still in the U.S.

  • Evidence of income tax returns, for the past 5 years or 3 years if you are married to a U.S citizen. If you have any overdues, you must submit documents showing the current status of your repayment program.

  • You must provide proof of Selective Service registration, if you are a male between 18 to 26 years of age. If you did not do so, you must provide a statement about the reason for not registering and a status information letter from the Selective Service.

  • If you have been arrested or detained by Law Enforcement:

    • If no charges were filed, submit court certified arrest report, and the court report confirming that no charges were filed.

    • If charges were filed, all documents relating to the arrest reports, charging documents and any evidence that are in your favour in the circumstances of your arrest or conviction, which you may want the USCIS to consider.

    • If your conviction has been removed from the record, you need to submit an original court order removing the conviction/arrest from your record.

  • If you need a disability exception on the Citizenship test, you need to submit Form N-648, which is a Medical Certificate for Disability Exceptions, which must be taken within 6 months before the Naturalization Application.

Photograph requirements

The Citizenship Application Form N-400, has to be submitted with 2 photographs, passport style, with the following requirements:

  • Full colour photographs, at least 3.5 Megapixels in size.

  • Size: 2 inches x 2 inches

  • Must have full frontal face view, with white background, with uncovered head (unless contrary to your religious beliefs).

  • You must write your A-number on the back of the photograph.

Important Immigration Forms

U.S. Citizenship Form N-400 Green Card Renewal Form I-90

Initys Law Firm Technologies
364 E Main Street Suite 1006, Middletown, DE 19709