Information Center


I Lost My Green Card! How Do I Replace It?

Category : Green Card Renewal

If you are a permanent resident of the United States, you must carry a valid Green card with you at all times, as proof of your legal status. If you have lost your Green card, there is no need to panic. Your status as a permanent resident remains the same, however you must immediately apply for a new Green card.

How do I apply for a new Green card replacement?

If you have lost your Green card inside the country:

The first thing you must do is file a police report. This ensures that your Green card is not used for any illegal purpose by anyone else. As soon as you’ve filed the report, which also is an additional documentation for replacing your lost Green card, you must

  • Fill an Application for Green card Renewal, Form I-90.

  • Collect all the supporting documents and evidence for your Green card renewal application. This includes a copy of the lost Green card, the police report filed when you lost the card, and any additional documents required by the USCIS to process your application.

  • Along with the Application Form I-90, you must submit 2 passport style photographs and the application processing fees as a personal check or a money order.

  • File the Application Form I-90 by mailing it to the nearest USCIS office to your location.

  • If you have an emergency travel outside the United States before you receive your replacement card, you can schedule an appointment with the local USCIS office and get your passport stamped with I-551. This serves as a temporary proof that you are a permanent resident and can also be used for employment purposes.

If you are outside the United States and lose your Green card:

Replace lost green cardYou must immediately contact the closest U.S embassy or Consulate and report that the card has been stolen. In order to return back to the United States without a valid Green card, you must obtain a transportation letter from the U.S embassy. Without this document, many air carriers will deny permission for you to board the aircraft. To obtain this carrier documentation, you must prepare Form I-131A, Application for travel document, and submit it at the nearest U.S embassy or consulate. This Boarding Foil (transportation letter) is valid only for 30 days, if your travel back to the U.S is delayed, then you will have to do the same procedure again to obtain the document. Once you return to the U.S, you must immediately file Form I-90, to replace your stolen Green card.

If you are a conditional permanent resident and lost your Green card:

If you are married to a U.S citizen and obtained a conditional Green card through the marriage, check if your conditional residence expires within the next 6 months. If it does, then you need not apply for a replacement card. Instead, you can directly file Form I-752, Petition to Remove conditions on Residence.

Important Immigration Forms

U.S. Citizenship Form N-400 Green Card Renewal Form I-90

Initys Law Firm Technologies
364 E Main Street Suite 1006, Middletown, DE 19709