Information Center


How to Renew a Green card?

Category : Green Card Renewal

There are two types of Green cards issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), one is the 10 year permanent resident cards, and the other is a 2 year conditional green card with conditions.

Ten year permanent resident card:

How to Renew a Green cardA 10 year permanent resident cards can renewed once in 10 years by filing Green Card Renewal Application Form I-90, to get the card renewed and to get a new card which is valid for another ten years. This process can be repeated every ten years.

Two year conditional green card:

A two year conditional green card is issued to the person when he/she is a not a citizen of the U.S, but wishes to stay in the U.S. after marrying a citizen of the United States. To avoid fraudulent marriages the USCIS came up with a few conditions that has to be met before the applicant is granted a Permanent resident card. This is to make sure that the applicant’s marriage is genuine, not just another fraudulent case to get permanent green card. A two year conditional card cannot be renewed.

When the conditional period is about to expire, they will need to file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. This is to remove conditions on their status and to change their status from conditional permanent resident to legal permanent resident.

USCIS requires the married couple to apply for permanent citizenship of their spouse together and prove that their marriage is genuine.  This requirement is to make sure that the conditional resident is still living with the U.S. citizen who he or she is married to. The couple will have to submit documents establishing the genuine nature of their wedding.

It is important to remember that the I-751 application must be filed 3 months before the expiration of the conditional status. Conditional residents may be deported from the U.S. if the conditions on their status is not met or removed by USCIS.

The requirement to file the application of the U.S. citizen husband or wife may be waived in certain cases where:

  1. The conditional resident is a victim of domestic violence or was abused by the U.S. citizen husband or wife,
  2. If the U.S. citizen sponsor has passed away (or),
  3. If the U.S. citizen is not willing to sign the I-751 petition.

Likewise, USCIS may accept applications filed late provided the reasons are genuine.

Important Immigration Forms

U.S. Citizenship Form N-400 Green Card Renewal Form I-90

Initys Law Firm Technologies
364 E Main Street Suite 1006, Middletown, DE 19709