Information Center


How to Do a Green Card Name Change After Marriage?

Category : Green Card Renewal

The permanent resident card or the Green card is legal proof of your status in the country. You are required by law to carry a valid Green card with you at all times and the information on the Green card should be correct, including your current legal name, date of birth and other information.

Change of name after marriage

If you have a Green card and wish to change your name on the card after your marriage, you must file Form I-90, Application for Green Card Renewal with the USCIS. Federal law requires you to apply to the USCIS and replace your Green card with your new legal name, as soon as possible. Changing your name on the Green card is a relatively simple process and a mandatory one as your Green card must contain the right information.

Complete Form I-90

Green Card Name ChangeFill out the Application for Green card renewal, Form I-90, and begin the process of Replacing your Green Card with your new name. Under the part “Information about you”, you must answer “Yes” to the question “Has your name changed legally since the issuance of your Permanent Resident Card?”. After completing the application form, you must attach legal documents that state that you have changed your name, like a marriage certificate. If the document is not in English language, you must submit a translated transcript.

Submit the completed form along with the necessary filing fees and supporting to the nearest USCIS office and the USCIS will review your request. If the USCIS requires more information or documents, you will have to submit the documents asked for. If the USCIS approves your application, your new Green card will be mailed to you. If your application is rejected, you will receive a notice explaining why it was denied.

It is always best to complete the application form for Green card renewal online as it reduces errors while filling and makes the entire process easier.

Important Immigration Forms

U.S. Citizenship Form N-400 Green Card Renewal Form I-90

Initys Law Firm Technologies
364 E Main Street Suite 1006, Middletown, DE 19709