Information Center


Document Checklist for U.S.Citizenship Form N-400

Category : Naturalization

U.S.Citizenship application onlineThe Application for Naturalization, N-400, is one complex form that you will fill on your path to the American dream. Keeping a checklist of things that you need when you fill the form online can make the form filling process easier. Once you complete the application form, you need to send the application form N-400 to the USCIS along with the necessary supporting documents and the filing fees for processing. Here’s a list of documents that you need to send along with your completed Application for Naturalization, N-400 to the USCIS for quicker processing:

Mandatory documents required for all applicants:

  • A photocopy of your Green card (both sides)

  • Birth Certificate (If in a foreign language, provide translated document)

  • Marriage certificate (Also translated to English, if in foreign language)

  • List of home addresses for the past five years, include the dates that you’ve resided in every address given.

  • List of all the employers you have worked for during the past five years, include the dates and the address of employment.

  • List of your children (biological, step-children, adopted - deceased and alive). If your children have A-numbers, mention the A# as well, along with their current residential address.

  • If you have travelled outside the U.S after becoming a permanent resident, then include the details of the travel - the country you have been to and the dates travelled.

  • Two passport style photographs with your A-number written behind the photos.

Supporting documents:

  • If you are applying for U.S citizenship based on marriage to a U.S citizen:

    • Marriage certificate

    • Proof that your spouse is a U.S citizen for the past 3 years (Spouse’s birth certificate, U.S passport, Naturalization certificate, Certificate of citizenship)

    • If your spouse was previously married, you need to submit termination of all previous marriages of your spouse ( divorce decrees, annulment, death certificate)

    • Proof that you and your spouse are living together (Bank statements, mortgages, leases, tax returns, birth certificate of children) for the past three years.

  • If you were married previously, you need to submit documents that all your previous marriages have been terminated - divorce decrees, annulments, death certificates.

  • If you have any dependent spouse or children in the U.S but who do not live with you:

    • Court order to provide financial support

    • Proof of financial support - cancelled checks, MO receipts, letter from the parent/guardian who is taking care of your child.

  • If you are applying for a legal name change from the one on your permanent resident card, you need to submit documents of your legal name change - marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption certificate or court document.

  • If you are applying for citizenship based on your service in the U.S army:

    • Submit a completed ORIGINAL Form N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service.

  • If you have any criminal record, or been expunged:

    • If no charges were filed, submit an ORIGINAL statement from the applicant court confirming that no charges were filed.

    • If charges were filed, submit an ORIGINAL or court-certified copy of the complete arrest record and disposition of each event - dismissal/conviction/acquittal order.

    • If you were convicted:

      • Submit an ORIGINAL or court-certified copy of the sentencing record for each event.

      • Evidence that you completed your sentencing - ORIGINAL or certified copy of your probation/parole record.

      • Evidence that you completed your alternative sentencing or rehabilitative program.

    • If your conviction was removed from your record:

      • Submit an ORIGINAL or court-certified copy of the order vacating, expunging, sealing or removing the arrest or conviction.

Keep all the above documents ready when you fill the Application for Naturalization, Form N-400 online. This makes the entire process of completing the Application for Naturalization, Form N-400 easier and simpler.

Important Immigration Forms

U.S. Citizenship Form N-400 Green Card Renewal Form I-90

Initys Law Firm Technologies
364 E Main Street Suite 1006, Middletown, DE 19709